The Yukon News, a twice-weekly community newspaper based in Whitehorse and known for producing award-winning journalism, has an opening for a full-time Multimedia Journalist. As one of five Reporters, you will cover general assignments, breaking news, and sports. You will also produce features for the arts, business, and life sections.
The successful candidate will have:
• Outstanding writing skills for print and web.
• Comfortability covering a wide variety of topics.
• A demonstrated ability in covering breaking news in an online environment.
• Excellent skills in driving website trafﬁc and audience engagement through superior multimedia news content generation, including SEO and UGC strategies.
• Advanced knowledge of photography, video shooting and editing. Regular video production is a standard requirement in all Black Press newsrooms.
• The ability to adhere to deadlines and take direction while contributing original story ideas.
• Knowledge of Photoshop, iMovie, and Canadian Press style.
Black Press Media is a leading North American local news champion with operations across British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Washington State, Alaska, and Hawaii. Over 1,500 talented employees work with us to deliver unique community news and information across a full suite of traditional media channels and digital platforms. We value diverse viewpoints, new ways of thinking and a collaborative approach to delivering results.
A valid driver’s licence, reliable vehicle and a smartphone are mandatory. Candidates must be able to legally work in Canada. Applicants must hold a formal journalism degree or diploma. We offer a strong benefits package. This position involves frequent weekend and evening assignments.
Forward resume, writing samples and cover letter by April 15 to:
Editor, Yukon News
Editorial director Black Press Media
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.